Whitney Thompson; Plus-size supermodel, spokesperson for NEDA and creator of "Supermodel".

My goal is to encourage and inspire you to celebrate your miraculous, exquisite, and unique body. I want you to resist the negative messages being sold to you by the media. You are beautiful. You are unique. Here, we want to help you remember that.

If I can convey one message to you:
Healthy is Beautiful. Beautiful is not a size, not an age, and not a procedure. Healthy is beautiful."

“Beautiful” is celebrating the characteristics and qualities of your body, while nourishing and exercising
it to be as uniquely healthy and fit as only you can be. We are all created differently and I want you to stop trying to fit into a mold that someone else has defined as "beautiful". No one size will ever be accepted by everyone and it's important to accept that we are all different. I want you to be the best that you can be.

Your comments are welcome here, even if we don't agree. I appreciate all comments as long as they don't hurt others.

Always remember, life is too short to not live like a SuperModel!


Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Weighing in on Rebecca Black

Why is this music video controversial...

while this one is "expected"?

       A song called, “Friday” featuring a 13 year old girl (Rebecca Black) has been spreading over the internet and across the media for some time now and everyone seems to have an opinion about it. I am not a singer, but I have heard people putting the song down for being auto-tuned. All I know is that “Friday” is less auto-tuned then Kim Kardashian’s “Jam”, though that’s not saying much. While I have no plans of ever purchasing this track, I must admit that it thrills me to hear a 13 year old girl sing about what 13 year old girls should be singing about. With the biggest songs on the radio featuring lyrics like “Let’s go all the way tonight, no regrets” (Katy Perry) and “F**k You” (Cee lo Green), hearing a wholesome song that is actually appropriate for teens is a breath of fresh air. “Friday” reminds me of something that my kids choir would have performed at church. No, the lyrics are not thought provoking or life-changing, but they also aren’t offensive and inappropriate. When our society is making international waves because an artist actually put out a song that wasn’t about sex, drinking , or partying, we need to take a step back and realize that this is sad. Remember when “Slave 4 U” came out and people were freaking out because Brittany Spears was implying sexual acts? Now listening to lyrics like ”Sex in the air, I don’t care I like the smell of it” (Rihanna) is considered the “norm” while lyrics like “yesterday was Thursday, Thursday-Today is Friday” causes chaos! When did wholesome become shock-value? I can’t think of one song that anyone under the age of 18 should be singing along to on the radio. Rebecca Black may not be the next Brittany Spears but I hope that her presence creates a path for other, more talented young girls to follow. Here’s to children being allowed to be children! 

3 comments:

  1. So very true. Its a shame that kids are exposed to sex so much earlier than they should be. Its no wonder there are more teen pregnancies and STD's out there than ever before. People need good influences. I'm glad you're one of them.
    And i hope Rebecca Black continues to stay that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. Even being a 32 year old woman, I welcome the wholesome songs. I am not a stick in the mud or anything like that, but I get tired of the drug, sex and violence in the media today. It is the main themes of tv shows, movies, music, etc... I was just having a similar conversation with my friend the other day. We were talking about tv shows and how we miss shows like the Cosby Show...it was about family and good wholesome fun. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I'm so glad that someone else out there gets this idea. When I first heard the song, I was pretty confused. I wasn't sure if it was for real or a mockery of pop music. But then I realized that it's just a simple, innocent song by a 13 year old girl, which I find good and also a breath of fresh air. I can't believe people are giving her such a hard time for it. People are literally freaking out over it, saying how horrific and terrible it is, but if you ask me, most of Katy Perry's song are worse, but people don't care because she's a sexy looking singer who loves discussing sexual related topics in her music so of course people eat it up.

    ReplyDelete